Grand Canyon Railway arriving at the South Rim
Where is the Grand Canyon?
The Grand Canyon is located in northwestern Arizona, about 80 miles northwest of Flagstaff, Arizona, and about 150 miles southeast of St. George, Utah. Although access to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is often made from Utah, the entire Grand Canyon lies within the state of Arizona.
Map of Grand Canyon Region
NPS Map of Northern Arizona and Southern Utah
Grand Canyon from Space
Public transportation to and around the Grand canyon is limited. To reach any point other than Grand Canyon Village on the South Rim, North Rim Village, and Grand Canyon West, you'll need a car.
- Scheduled airlines serve Flagstaff, Prescott, and Kingman, Arizona, and St. George, Utah. Visitors may also fly into the major airline hubs at Las Vegas, Nevada, and Phoenix, Arizona. Air tour and air charter services are available to Grand Canyon National Park Airport at the South Rim, and Grand Canyon West Airport on the southwest rim. See the Activities: Air Tour page for more information.
- Amtrak serves Flagstaff, Williams, and Kingman, Arizona with rail service.
- Grand Canyon Railway offers service between Williams and Grand Canyon Village.
- Greyhound provides bus service to Flagstaff and Kingman, Arizona, Las Vegas, Nevada, and St. George, Utah.
- Arizona Shuttle offers ground shuttle service from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport to Sedona, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon Village on the South Rim.
- Trans Canyon Shuttle offers ground shuttle service between Grand Canyon Village, Marble Canyon, and North Rim Village.
We simply need that wild country available to us, even if we never do more than drive to its edge and look in. For it can be a means of reassuring ourselves of our sanity as creatures, a part of the geography of hope. -Wallace Stegner